Isaiah 6:1-7 (New International Version)
1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."
God does have absolute perfection in every way. Therefore, when we are in HIS presence, all of our own failures and sinfulness and imperfections scream at us. Our rightful response is a humble acknowledgment of our sinfulness and our state of being completely UNDONE! When we see ourselves in light of God's Greatness, there is absolutely no room for pride or arrogance.
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."
4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
When Isaiah really sees God, he is overwhelmed with his own sinfulness. I realize that it seems to be human nature for us to focus on our own imperfections in a particular area when we are in the presence of someone else that excels in that area. For example: my own physical defects and imperfections seem worse when I am with a really attractive woman. I see my own "ugliness" in light of her "beauty." If I interact with someone who exhibits a really positive attitude, I am keenly aware of my tendency to focus on the negatives. Working with an extremely intelligent person or someone with a lot of knowledge in a field that I have little knowledge seems to point out my lack of intelligence or knowledge in that area. However, the truth remains that no one individual is perfect or has "it all put together" in all areas. Each one (including me) has areas of strength and areas of weakness. God cautions us against comparing ourselves to others because this clouds our ability to see ourselves as we really are.God does have absolute perfection in every way. Therefore, when we are in HIS presence, all of our own failures and sinfulness and imperfections scream at us. Our rightful response is a humble acknowledgment of our sinfulness and our state of being completely UNDONE! When we see ourselves in light of God's Greatness, there is absolutely no room for pride or arrogance.
How beautiful this verse is!!! Wow!!!
When we recognize our "undoneness," God TOUCHES us and makes us clean!! So simple and yet so profound!
Lord, Open my eyes to see your Holiness and my sinfulness. Touch me and clean me!!
No comments:
Post a Comment